This message is from: GAIL RUSSELL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

At 06:45 PM 3/19/99 -0700, you wrote:
>This message is from: "Bushnell's" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>

>A Sliester is a brand name, Jean, for a real nice hackamore. We got ours at
>the Western Outdoors store in Kalispell, MT. I'm sorry I don't have a
>reference or picture of one for you to see. We like them because the horses
>like them:o)       Ruthie

Can you tell us more?  How thick is the hackamore.  How big (heavy) is the
knob?  I gather you might have bought this as a whole set, with leather
hanger, bosal, and mecate all set up and ready to go.

My Mike Bridges video suggests using a three eighths inch hackamore as a
tool to introduce a "bridle horse" to a high-ported "vaquero" bit.  Of
course, three eighths is not real thick. Then there are the special fitting
problems of Fjords - (many of whom do not have the thin place on their nose
that your standard QH has - or maybe they do - has anyone a good
dissertation on fitting hackamores to the often-triangular Fjord head).
Mike Bridges' philosophy runs along the same lines as the Hackamore Reinsman
- Ed McConnel books.  The idea being that you train a horse to accept reach
for and hold a high-ported bit in such a way that he/she responds
immediately to the lightest touch of a neck rain - and does not wait for the
action of the curb chain/leather to come into play.

I know that the Unrau's daughter has trained her Fjord gelding, Anvil's
Lucas, with a hackamore.  Maybe she is out there and can describe?  :)

Gail - who had a long day trying to talk with her dressage instructor about
the right kind of snaffle for a horse trained in the vaquero tradition.
(this lady is difficult, but she does listen if I just show her I;m alpha :))
Gail Russell
Forestville CA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]