This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Information Architecture)

Hi,

Just a few comments I felt compelled to make, that might perhaps add
something to the discussion:

First, with regards to Ceacy's use of the term "prepotency" when a mare (or
a stallion) consistently produces good offspring.  I just want to point out
that prepotency is not a geneticist's term or construct, but a lay one.
What is seems to mean genetically is that the animal is homozygous (meaning
both genes are the same) instead of heterozygous (meaning the gene that is
not seen, or expressed, is different from the one that is expressed) for a
large number of genes, thus its offspring cannot help but inherit these
traits (since the two genes are the same and the offspring must get one of
them).  If these traits are dominant, then the offspring's offspring should
also be of good quality when suitably mated.  But I often hear prepotent
used as a sort of magic term, and in fact what happens is not at all magic.
When people line breed or in breed, they are seeking to increase the number
of homozygous genes so that the offspring from such breedings will produce
more consistent offsprng.  The down side of linebreeding/inbreeding is that
the genetic concentration tends to reduce size and vigor (that's why
outcrosses are often said to have "hybrid vigor" -- in outcrosses between
species, mules are a great example of this).  Hope this isn't too boring,
but I think it's good to understand what's going on and not just think one
can breed or breed to a certain animal because they are "prepotent."

With regards to the installation of an arena, the US Dressage Federation
puts out an excellent book on arena footing which is available from them for
$5.  No one should build an arena without looking at it.

Finally, I've watched with interest the comments concerning the two MidWest
clubs (the new and the old).  I feel the need to point out that if the NFHR
would establish districts and would recognize and support clubs for those
districts, then the establishment of clubs wouldn't get to be a political
football.  Many people seek to establish a club because they want to do a
show; if we had insurance support from the NFHR for that it wasn't an
overwhelming expense to get show insurance, there would be a lot less of a
need to establish a bunch of clubs.  And if it was clear that you were in
"X" region and the club for that region was "YYY", it would make things a
lot simpler.  Politics would still be there, but so would some organization.
Almost all of the breed organizations have regions, as do the USDF, the ADS,
and other performance oriented horse organizations.  In Oregon there is then
a state chapter of the USDF (the ODS), and a number of local chapters.  A
local show can get insurance from the ODS, which in turn gets some support
from the USDF.  It's really much more efficient.

I'd better close for now.

Becky Vorpagel
Jont Creek Acres
Monmouth, OR