This message is from: ceacy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I would like to add that I agree with Sharon's comments, and that I would
be cautious in assuming that a horse 's reasons for behaving in any given
manner can even be necessarily understood. We may never be able to
accurately diagnose a horse's physical problems but that does not mean
there isn't one. I think sometimes we think medicine, human or veterinary,
is an exact science.  It isn't, so before I would punish a horse for
misbehaving, I would like to believe that I have tried every other way of
approaching solving the problem in the relationship. We have all seen
horses that would be difficult for one rider and perfect with another, same
horse, different relationship. If there is a behavior problem under saddle,
I would always look to what the rider is doing first, assume that the
problem starts there and not with the horse. I always give the horse the
benefit of the doubt.

Beyond that, I would like to say that , even if a horse does not have a
medical  or physical reason why they do not wish to do something, doesn't
mean that they don't have a psychological reason. Can you force them
through it, probably up to a point. Horses are forced to do things they
don't want to all most all of their lives. The point is that there are
other ways of getting a horse to want to work for you that do not involve
force. What is the benefit of this ? Beyond the beauty of this kind of
partnership, the horse is more forward, willing, relaxed, and reliable.

I think the reason most of us have gotten involved with clicker training is
because we wanted a better way of communicating with our horses. When I am
working with my stallion, if he isn't getting it, then I assume I need to
change my approach.
If he loses interest, then I change the game somehow, if he gets cranky and
doen't want to play, I say fine , I will come back later. Clicker training
isn't just the manner in which you shape behavior, its a philosophy of
learning. It takes time, and patience, but most of all it requires the
trainer to be creative and observant.
Everything your horse does or does not do has the potential of telling you
something about the internal state of your horse. Its not so much about how
well you can teach your horse something, as much as it is, how well can you
read your horse. The best way to read your horse is to clear out all the
preconceived ideas you have about his behavior and have an open mind. As
Sharon said, no assumptions. You will not be open to learn if you don't
question your "knowledge" about your horse.