This message is from: Mary Thurman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Additionally, Mary mentioned having annual physical exams performed.
> don't know if Mary is a breeder, but here again, if you've found an
> owner/breeder who does this, you've found one who takes good care of
> their horses.

In answer to Brian's question:  No, we no longer breed Fjords, but we
did for over 10 years.  Just a small operation, two mares a year at
the most.  I learned about annual exams for my horses many years ago
while I was still in high school and worked part time for the "local"
vet.  He came to town two days a month from his practice 100 miles
away because our area had no vet.  And yes we did have foal exams on
all our foals - its kind of like "well baby checkups" - why would you
leave them out?  Isn't the idea to produce healthy animals and keep
them that way?  How on earth would you know if everything is "right"
with that new foal if you didn't have him checked out after he was
born, and again 12 hours later to be sure he absorbed those
antibodies?  Thanks Brian for sharing your knowledge on the list.  It
really is helpful, and makes you stop and think things through again
every once in a while.

Mary
==
Mary Thurman