This message is from: Mary Thurman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

---Karen McCarthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> This message is from: "Karen McCarthy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>

> Does anyone out there give shots in the rump area?

Karen,

Yes, always in the lower thigh below the tail (kind of gives you a bit
of an "upswing" when implanting the needle <g>).  We have never had
any luck using the neck.  Line's neck is too muscular to get the
needle into, plus I find it makes the horses spooky about their necks,
which is not any help when you are trimming their manes up near their
ears.  The only shots that were given in the chest were the strangles
vaccine a couple of years ago, which caused a reaction, and a tetanus
vaccine given to our appy several years ago, which hit a nerve and
paralyzed his front leg for several weeks.  Poor guy couldn't pick up
his foot to step up into the barn if he went outside, so we kept him
in for two weeks.  Not fun for any of us!

None of our gang seems to mind being stuck in the rear end - they just
go right on eating their hay.  Our vet says "if you use two
shots/needles use two sites" - one in each side of the rump, in our
case.

Mary
==
Mary Thurman