This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

helo Misha, everyone!

I wanted to clarify an issue concerning the slaughter and eating of
horseflesh.  This was not as common of a practice as people of the modern era
believe.

In my previous posts concerning the sacredness of the horse to the Nordic
tribes, I mentioned briefly sacrifice.  There were occasions when the ancient
tribes deemed it prudent to perform a sacrifice to their gods/goddesses.  In
such an event, and if it was ultimately important to insure the
safety/longevity of the tribe, a sacrifice of a horse might be performed.  The
purpose for choosing a horse was considered very carefully because of its
extreme sacredness to the Norse people, themselves.

In such an instance, the people would not sacrifice what they themselves would
not eat.  Therefore, they would HUMANELY sacrifice the animal, (A handler
would have feed the horse well, gave it good bedding, basically given it every
luxury, then this horse would have been paraded through the entire community
to recieve pets and blessings from all tribe members.  Only the best horses
would be used for this purpose.) by slitting its throat as quickly and cleanly
as possible.  After they had offered the best portions of the horse to the
gods/goddesses, the tribe would take small portions and pass these out to
every tribe member.

This is the only time I have ever read of horseflesh eating in the many years
I have studied the early Nordic literature.  Another early practice which very
well may have led to this fallacy is the fact the Norse tribes carefully
culled all of their various animal herds at the onset of winter.  This was
done to maintain the very best of the best.  These horses which may have been
culled (there is no direct reference to horses, by the way) MIGHT have been
eaten, although it is highly unlikely for to eat an inferior animal may have
been dishonorable to the very sacredness of the horse.

The Viking Age, 793CE-1066CE would have also contributed to this false idea.
These groups of Nordic warriors were fervently attempting to protect their
homes, land, families, way of life, and religious beliefs from the new
monotheistic invasions.  These battles were fierce, bloody, and thousands of
Nordic people died.  Horse sacrifice would have been performed much more often
to offset this historical tragedy, hence, giving sway to our modern
perceptions.

Lynda

This is the extent of early horseflesh eating throughout the majority of the
Norse tribes.