This message is from: GAIL RUSSELL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi Nancy,

I am considering breeding my Fjord filly (mare?) again this spring.  She
came to me from the Unrau's last fall and will foal April 3.  I am in
California.  I am trying to breed for the Northern California market - which
I would characterize as being enthusiastic about sporthorse type horses as
there is no place to drive.  I gather you do A.I. with Ravel, so he might be
a possibility.

I snipped your post below.  One particular thing I noted was that you said
Ravel had done well on Dokka - who needed a bit shorter back and a bit more
bone.  Anvil's Luise (sire Anvil's Regin; dam Anvil's Lena) is just a bit
long backed - and I'd like to see more withers.  I haven't really analyzed
her cannon bone measurement - but it certainly is not like Claylee's Gunthar
- who is quite drafty (my gelding).  I have some pictures I could e-mail to
you if you are interested.  Lena has a long back.  I have not really
analyzed Regin, but I bet you know him fairly well.  LUise could use a bit
longer stride too, I suppose.  Gunthar, though not well balanced (heavy
drafty neck, very long back - but he has an incredible reach on his stride)
has a much longer stride.  He can really walk and trot!  Luise has a
daintier trot - more like a scissors action.  She is, however, much more
athletic than Gunthar, with stronger hindquarters (though her hindquarters
might benefit from some beefing up too).  She is currently bred to Leidjo
(Unrau's other stallion).  He does have a shorter back and stronger
hindquarters.

Thanks in advance.  Your post was really informative.

Gail

At 11:02 PM 5/4/98 -0600, you wrote:
>This message is from: Nancy Lehnert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>

>Traveling to the Fjord shows in Norway and The Netherlands, was a very good
>learning experience for me. Paying close attention to the judging of
>hundreds of Fjord horses gives one a better "eye" to judge horses. What
>helped the most was being able to speak with the judges and breeders in The
>Netherlands and ask questions about the pedigrees as well as the faults or
>strong points of the horses.
>
>( The day after being evaluated, Dokka  didn't show well at halter because
>she was so worried about an upset foal she knew outside the ring that she
>didn't want to stand like a "statue pony." Yes, she has a very strong
>mothering instinct! )
>
>As Carol R. says, there isn't the "perfect" horse and even in this mare,
>there was still room for improvement.  So I asked David Klove, a Norwegian
>Judge, who saw the mare, what I should look for in the stallion I would
>breed to her.  He told me she needed one with "more bone, better movement
>in the front legs and a little bit shorter back."  That's what I went
>looking for.
>

>Having noted bloodlines from Norway I admired, I next purchased a Ramstad
>son MVF Ravel out of Froya. Both sire and dam had been evaluated by the
>Norwegian judges and received good marks. I next had a very competent
>Equine Vet assess the young stallion for the standard teeth and testicles
>but more stringently for conformation and movement since no evaluations
>were going on at that time. Ravel was next unofficially evaluated and
>approved by Jon Hegdal when Jon was with the film crew documenting the
>Fjords in the USA. The response of Heather Mason, an AHSA r-rated judge,
>(who also raises Warmbloods and competes at Dressage shows at Grand Prix
>level) after having seen a video of Ravel in motion stated " I love his
>movement!"

>Happy Trails to all from Big Sky country --Montana.
>
>Nancy Lehnert & Lou Thiesen
>Nancy's Fjord Horses
>E-mail:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Voice 406.257.6969.....FAX 406.257.8899