This message is from: Marsha Jo Hannah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> misha nogha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> Will somebody please give me a definitive explanation of the term,
> 'backyard breeder'? Having never run across one, or at least, not that
> I know of, I have no idea what people are talking about.

Unfortunately, different people use the term to mean different things.
To some, it's the "small producer"---someone who only has a couple of
mares.  To me, it's the breeder who's "clueless" in one or more ways.

Typical is someone new to equines who buys a "using" mare for the
kids, then decides to breed her, "because she's so sweet", or "because
she has such pretty leg stripes", or "so the kids can see the foal
born", or "to pay some of her purchase price", etc.  Never mind if the
mare has major conformational flaws (which was why she was sold as a
"using horse"), or if the chosen (usually the closest) stallion is a
poor match for her.  Breeders without a plan certainly qualify.
Unfortunately, "backyard breeders" tend to be new at raising/training
equines, too, and often produce spoiled, bratty "pet" foals.

OTOH, every breeder had to start someplace....

Marsha Jo Hannah                Murphy must have been a horseman--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               anything that can go wrong, will!
30 mi SSE of San Francisco, Calif.
-------