This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I have to share with you what I watched today with my QH mare and cat.  I know
it's not a Fjord story but you'll like it anyway!

We recently sold my daughter's QH mare that was paddocked with my QH mare.
They had been together for over 3 years in the same paddock.  Spicy, my mare,
has been very lonely, i.e., didn't eat much for 2-3 days after she left,
always stands at the gate staring at our Fjord and Arab in the next paddock a
few yards away, and whinnies every time I pull out of the driveway to leave.
We just bought a new horse but he will not be home until May 1 (2 months
away!).

I was cleaning her paddock yesterday and our barn cat jumped up on the feeder.
Spicy stopped eating her hay and very gently started to nuzzle the cat.
Usually, the cat moves away and runs off but this time he just let Spicy blow
his fur all over with her big nostrils.  Pretty soon the cat started
responding by rubbing up against her face making sure his tail brushed Spicy's
eyes and muzzle.  They went on like this for 5 min.  I was just standing there
wishing I could sneak away to get my camera, but I stayed put worried I'd
disturb this sweet scene.  Pretty soon the cat lied over on his back telling
Spicy to nuzzle his tummy!  Soon the cat bored of the whole thing and started
off on his balancing act along the top of the fence around the paddock.  Spicy
slowly followed him around.  When he reached the corner, the cat decided to
explore Spicy more by jumping on her rump.  She had a polarfleece cooler on
that was warmed from the sun.  Spicy didn't move but looked around at him with
the most curious expression.  Lightning decided to do that "let's make a bed
here" routine with his claws and I stepped back expecting Spicy to send him
flying high in the air with a buck but either the claws didn't make it through
the polarfleece or they did just enough that she got a nice back scratch from
it---- anyway, Lightning decided to move to her back and went through the same
routine.  Like the 3 Bears and the porridge, this spot was " just right"  and
he lied down and closed his eyes for a little nap in the sun.  Spicy had her
foot rested and relaxed as well.  She had found a new friend to replace her
paddock mate...............

Susan in Minnesota