This message is from: "Mike May, Registrar NFHR" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

At 10:28 AM 2/19/99 -0800, you wrote:
>This message is from: misha nogha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>Thanks to all who responded to my query about the third generation
>outcrossing on Dutch fjords. As you recall, I was just responding to an
>earlier message that said that some Dutch Fjords may have been crossed with
>Arabs,

Actually I think the reference you are talking about was not to Dutch
horses at all.  I think it was the post by Anneli you are referring to.
Here is the message she left regarding the "Open" status of the Registries
in some European countries:

--------------------
Subject: Influence from other breeds?

This message is from: Anneli Sundkvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Kristine wrote:
>>According to them, some Fjords - don`t ask me where or when - were
crossed with fullbloods in order to make them more graceful and athletic.>>

>>Evidently this widespread "fact" (in Europe) isn`t known in the States.>>

In at least Sweden and Denmark, the offspring to a fjordcross can gradually
(it takes 3 generations) be uppgraded into the studbook and therefore
considered a pure bred fjordhorse! In my country, the studbook isn't
closed, but a horse need to be by a registred stallion and have 3 full
generations to be registred in the studbook (stallions must have a
registred mother too). Both genders must be approved by a judge and
co-judge. The demands for stallions to be registred in the studbook are hard.

But - say you have a fjord/arab-cross. If she is covered by a registred
fjordstallion and her daughter, granddaughter and great granddaughter too,
the great great granddaugther will have 3 full generations and therefor
able to get into the studbook, if the judges finds her to be of sufficent
fjordtype. I'm not familiar enough with the Danish studbook-rules to tell
you about them, but I belive that the Danish studbook is 'open' like the
Swedish. You don't have to trace every horse in your horse's pedigree back
to a registred ancestor to have your horse registred.

I mentioned in an earlier post that my horse's maternal grandfather was
gelded by his owner because too high a percentage of his offspring had
white markings. The sire (who had no white markings himself) was by the
Norweigan imported stallion Enok and out of a mare of Danish lines. I have
spoken to some fjordpeople about this matter and the general idea seem to
be that way back in the mare's pedigree there was foreign blood that showed
generations later with white markings and sometimes pony-like heads. If you
study older Danish pedigrees you sometimes find mares only mentioned as
'gul hoppe' (=dun mare). In these cases the only thing known about the mare
is that she was dun, and we all know that all dun horses are not fjords...

Regards

Anneli in Uppsala, Sweden

Norwegian Fjord Horse Registry
Mike May, Registrar