This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I'd like to make a point of clarification.  I'm afraid that Carol's
definition of "good" legs on a Fjord may be confusing or misleading for
some people.  Whether Fjords have "dry, clean legs" or not does depend
somewhat on parentage and conformation, but it has more to do with the
horse's physical condition (i.e. body fat percent) and body type.  If a
horse is in lean condition, his tendons are going to be more defined,
making one more likely to say he has "dry, clean legs".  On the other
hand, if that horse is slightly overweight, fat is going to fill in
around those tendons and joints, and they will not be as defined, leading
someone to say the legs are not as dry and clean.  Believe me, there are
16 starved horses at our county fairgrounds right now that have the
driest, cleanest legs you have ever seen!  Also, when have you heard a
big draft horse described as having dry legs?  You may hear it
occasionally, but not very often.  And what are many Fjords?  Small
drafts.

As an equine veterinarian, I palpate many horse's tendons, and I can tell
you that, for the most part, a tendon is a tendon.  The most superficial
of the flexor tendons that you can feel does have sharp edges, while the
slightly deeper one has rounded edges.  If we could judge 20 horses'
legs, and then see all 20 horses' tendons laid out on a table, there's
not a single one of us who could accurately pick which tendons belonged
to which horse, no matter whether we had thought their legs were dry and
clean, or spongy.

Like Carol, I have seen many Fjords, and I feel very comfortable saying
that, in general, the lighter bodied, slightly finer-boned Fjords would
be classified by many as having drier, cleaner legs than would the
intermediate body style or draft type Fjords.  But do the lighter Fjords
have stronger, sounder legs?  No, not at all.  In fact, it's more likely
the other way around.  To give an example with some of the horses that
Carol mentioned, in the pictures I have seen of BDF Torolf, he is very
lean and seems to be what most people would consider more the
finer-boned, riding type Fjord. Gjest, on the other hand, seems to be
more of the intermediate or all-purpose body type.  In the pictures I
have seen, one would not call Gjest's legs as dry and clean as Torolf's.
Does this mean Torolf's legs are any better or stronger or sounder than
Gjest's?  Not a bit.

So here's why I'm writing and making this distinction.  Fjords in this
country for the most part were historically the intermediate or draft
type.  More recently, the slightly finer body-type Fjord is gaining in
popularity, but I believe are still a minority as far as total Fjord
numbers go.  Also, many Fjords tend to be kept in slightly overweight
body condition.  So most Fjords will not fit Carol's definition of good
legs because their tendons and joints will not be sharply defined and
delineated.  Does this mean they have bad legs?  No.  On the other hand,
does this mean I think "spongy" legs with no definition are better?  No.
As with many things, I believe moderation is the key; Somewhere in
between is best.  No one would argue that good, clean legs are desirable,
but "dry"?  I'm not sure we need to go too far in that direction.

Brian Jacobsen, DVM
Norwegian Fjordhest Ranch
Salisbury, North Carolina

>...To me describing a horse's legs as dry and hard means - not soft and
spongy, which, unfortunately,  can be a characteristic of the Fjordhorse.
 A characteristic good breeders everywhere are trying to eliminate.

> When you feel a horse's legs and the tendon is really well defined, and
feels a bit sharp, rather than soft and rounded. . . this is very good!
You should immediately be able to feel all the very distinct parts of the
leg, rather than the tendon and canon melding into each other.  The leg
shouldn't feel fleshy.  Definitely not fleshy.--  That's what dry legs
are.   If the tendon is strong and "sharp", tight, and distinct, the leg
is
considered "clean."  If you make a habit of feeling the legs of as many
horses as you come across, you'll begin to distinguish between the good,
bad, and inbetween legs.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]