This message is from: "Laurie Pittman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sunday, February 14, 1999 1:49 PM
Subject: Truck and trailer

>This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

>Hi - this is Nancy and Ernie from NH - we are in the market for getting our
>first truck and trailer - we want a trailer that would house both Sonnie
>and a  meadowbrook carriage. We are thinking of getting a Ford F150 and a

>gooseneck 2 horse stock trailer. Does anyone have any suggestions about
>wether this combination is adequate. We would appreciate any info. Thanks
>everyone! Nancy

     No! A 150 is not enough, it may seem ok at first but you will wear out
the transmission, and you won't have enough power. Get at least an F-250 and
one that is set up for towing. I  towed with a 150 for a few years and
thought it was ok, but I ended up having to get the transmission rebuilt.
Then I went to a F-250 Trailer Special. It has 1 ton suspension, 1 ton brake
system, and a heavy duty transmission, with a 460 engine. Now maybe you
don't need that big of an engine, but I'd much rather has too much power
than not enough! Also this tows so much better than a 150. Much more stable!
This is a 78 model, by the way, not a fancy new truck that costs a fortune.
I love this truck.
    I do agree with getting a gooseneck. I have one now and I'll never haul
a bumper pull again if I can help it. I have a 4 horse gooseneck and I can
get it in and out of places I would never take my 2 horse bumper pull. A
gooseneck also tows much nicer. I'm not sure that a 2 horse trailer will
work for you though. Being a stock trailer it might, but if you can, load
your cart into it  before you buy and see if it will fit and leave room for
your horse. Personally I like to load my cart first, then the horses. That
way if you ever get in a wreck, God forbid, you don't have to unload your
cart to get to your horse. That was one thing that really bothered me about
hauling with my 2 horse. I think I would look at a 3 horse trailer myself. I
haven't looked at stock trailer in awhile, but if it opens up into the tack
room you might be able to load the cart up front. Also, does it have a ramp?
I avoided these for years thinking I didn't want or need one. But I got
tired of dealing with boards to load my cart (I have to do all this by
myself) so my new trailer also has a ramp. I love it! Wouldn't be without
it. No problem with the horses either. I also added a stud divider to the
center of the trailer. Sometimes I pack a lot of stuff in around the cart
and this way if we had a wreck, none of the equipment would get to the
horses.
      Well, this is all just my opinion, but I have been hauling for about
20 years, so I think I can speak from experience. There are lots of ways you
can go with the type of trailer you get. Just put a lot of thought into what
you really want and look around at what others have done. Just DON'T skimp
on the truck!! Also, have you considered aluminum? Well worth it if you can.
This is my 4th trailer and I wanted it to be my last so I got aluminum this
time. Lasts longer, holds its value much better, and being lighter is easier
on your truck.
     Didn't mean to get so long winded. Hope I was some help. Good luck!

Laurie Pittman
www.angelfire.com/wa/torshome