This message is from: Jean Ernest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>I'm enthralled by your weather reports! Living in western New York
>slightly inland from the shores of Lake Erie, we're used to some of the
>biggest snow stories. Buffalo had 50 plus inches in January.

Well, I'm not trying to out-do your account of big snows in Buffalo, but We
have several times had 12+ feet of snow in a winter (It all sticks around
till spring.)  People have to shovel roofs, etc.  This year we've had a
piddly 25 inches or so, very bad for sewer pipes, etc. and Skiers,
dogmushers, etc.

Then there was that winter of l970-71, with 12 foot of snow accumulated by
the end of December and then the bottom fell out and it was 40-50 below
zero for about 6 weeks.  Moose were dying in people's driveways, and yards
and the Game division ran a "Moose wagon" to collect the carcasses.
 I think the winters of l968-l980 were much more severe than we've had
since. Hopefully we're not headed back into those long very cold winters.
However it seems that when we have a severe cold winter, the following
summer is warmer and drier, with warm snowier winters we get cooler, wetter
summers.  Guess it's all a trade-off!
 BTW, I grew up on the west side of Cleveland and always was amazed at how
much more snow the East side had, as well as Buffalo.

Jean in Fairbanks, Ak, down to -50F tonight.
Jean Ernest
Fairbanks, Alaska
[EMAIL PROTECTED]