This message is from: Jean Ernest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Bjorken tripped with me after a long and strenuous but great lesson in
which we were practicing canter departs. At the end of the lesson I was
trotting him around my small arena, where the footing was very hard, pocked
with hoofprints and rough and he stumbled, went down to his nose and I was
over his head in an instant.  My instructor turned around to see us go down
without any warning.  My heavy glasses gave me black eyes (and I later
dicovered the top bit of my nose was broken) but after ascertaining that I
could move everything, my instructor made me get back on and work him in
half halts, as she thought he was running through the half halts.  He was
obviously inattentive and maybe a little tired and lazy when he tripped.

I was wearing my helmet, think goodness and don't even get on a horse
without one anymore. I felt the shock in my neck and shoulders and thought
that I would be terribly sore from the fall, but took some Ibuprofen and a
lot of "TRAUMEEL", a homeopathic medicine for trauma and had absolutely no
soreness in my neck and shoulders! The TRAUMEEL works!

Bjorken will stumble and trip when I ride him in the field and he is bored
and lazy, but when I trot him over the series of caveletti set up along the
fence he has an energetic, wonderful trot with Impulsion.  He will actually
try to veer over to trot the caveletti if I let him, and seems to really
enjoy it.  He is very sure footed out on the trail.

Oh yes, we decided that he was overdue for a trim and reset of his shoes
the day he tripped, and that may have contributed to it (Long toes)

Jean in COLD Fairbanks, Alaska, -40 F

At 10:29 AM 1/27/99 -0800, you wrote:
>This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jean gayle)
>
>When you have your horse "on the bit"  they are not so heavy in front and
>usually are paying more attention.  On the bit as you probably know is a
>firm yet giving rein so the horse is balanced.

Jean Ernest
Fairbanks, Alaska
[EMAIL PROTECTED]