This message is from: Jean Ernest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

After -43F yesterday morning, it is now +2 degrees and rising!  almost
balmy, the traffic in town was very heavy even tho it still wasn't very
warm this morning. Betcha tomorrow everybody will be out and about! The
roads are getting slick with frost accumulating from moisture in the warmer
air freezing on the very cold pavement.

The horses are a bit laid back, and  now I'll have to cut back on hay.
This has been a very brief cold spell, not really all that severe (could
have been -50F and a week or two or more)

Speaking of stamina, my gelding Bjorken gets very "tired" when I ride him
in the arena, but my instructor can get a lot more energy out of him! I
think he's got my number.:-)  However, I do notice that he takes a while to
warm up and gets more energetic as the session goes on. And on a trail ride
with other horses (I usually ride alone) he was absolutely full of energy
and not the least tired at the end!  I think many Fjords just naturally
don't exert themselves unnecessarily, saving their energy, but perhaps
appearing to lack stamina because of that. Certainly, conditioning is very
immportant, very few fjords are conditioned to reach their potential.

Jean in Fairbanks, Alaska, where it was overcast and gloomy today but
WARM!(sort-of)

Jean Ernest
Fairbanks, Alaska
[EMAIL PROTECTED]