This message is from: "Jon A. Ofjord" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Susan,

The ice balls are only a problem when the temperature drops below 0 degress F
(-18C). I have never tried the vaseline method, but at those temperatures I
don't know if it would apply very easily. Mary thinks she tried it, but
that it only worked for a short time as the abrasiveness of the snow
rendered it ineffective rather quickly. In the meantime I still use a
plastic handled hoofpick to chip away the chunks. I use the handle for this
not the metal part. So far it hasn't broken. Our farrier is coming tomorrow
and I'll ask if he has any good ideas.
Fortunately it looks like we have a break in the weather for the next few
days and I can go out to the barn (actually a three sided shed facing
South) and get  some clean up done. Now if I can find that old 9 iron....

Jon
in snowy northeastern Minnesota overlooking Lake Superior

p.s.
Pamela- I sing to them, too, and when the weather is nice I even take a
guitar out to the barn.