This message is from: "Jon A. Ofjord" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Welcome to the list Jon & Hope:

We use a three-sided run-in shelter for our horses up here in northern MN.
They do just fine with this type of set up.  The shelter faces south, and
is protected from the prevailing winds.  We stack our hay on the north side
of the leanto, which also helps to make the shelter more wind-proof.  The
shelter is divided into three stalls.  Two are twelve by twelve, and one is
ten by twelve.  Each has a metal gate on the front and basically becomes an
open air stall(stall with a view!).  We have a 100 gallon rubbermaid water
tank with a heater that goes through a hole near the bottom of the tank.
That is enclosed in a box lined with closed cell foam. The top has two
holes cut into it for the horses to drink.  This never freezes, even at -40
below, and keeps the water at about 40 degrees.
We top it off every day with a hose. Our barn is lower than our deck, so as
we coil the hose all the water drains out.  This system works well for us.

As far as saddles go.  I finally got an Ortho-Flex Caliente, which fits my
Fjords.  I tried other saddles, but none would fit quite right.  Ortho-Flex
make many styles of saddles.  There would be one for whichever discipline
you ride.  Good luck with your horses.