This message is from: Jean Ernest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Oh Boy!  I myself would tend to avoid a trainer who regularly uses a
running W in his training program!  I suppose I could see a RARE careful
use of it in an extreme situation with a horse with real problems.
Certainly Doris Ganton doesn't use it!
  What it consists of is a rope running from a surcingle down to a hobble
around one front foot, back to a ring at the bottom of the surcingle
(bellyband) back to a hobble around the other front foot and back up to a
ring on the other side of the surcingle and out to the "trainer".  The so
called trainer can then pull the front feet out from under the horse and
throw him to his knees and to the ground.  Some draft horse trainers use
them(as shown in the Western Horseman Video "Draft Horses Come in Handy")

A good trainer shouldn't have to resort to such a device when starting a
young horse in my opinion.  Anybody else got some thoughts on this?
(should make for a heated discussion!)

I think one of the best books on training the horse to drive is the one by
Heike Bean and Sarah Blanchard: CARRIAGE DRIVING, A Logical Approach
Through Dressage Training.  Mary Twelve ponies also discusses basic driving
training as well as starting the colt riding, in her Book "STARTING THE COLT"

Jean in Fairbanks, Alaska, +2 degrees!

>      I have been visiting with a local fellow about training the boys to
>drive.  He mentioned he uses a running W when he trains.  I have the Doris
>Ganton book and tape
>and she doesn't mention the use of it.  So I thought I would ask the rest
>of you your thoughts on it.
Jean Ernest
Fairbanks, Alaska
[EMAIL PROTECTED]