<<
 > I don't keep mules because I'm not smart enough. I would offer a
 > suggestion on the trainer you choose for your  fjord. Find one that
 has
 > trained mules. While not keeping mules I have been around them &
 fjords
 > remind me more of mules than they do horses.

I would like to respond a bit to the recent dialog on Fjords being like mules.
To me, " being "like a mule" has a negative connotation.  Some books also
refer to Fjords as being stubborn.  I think perhaps their motivations are
misunderstood.  I would rather them be referred to as "THINKERS".  Let me
share a story with you that might help explain this train of thought.

When we first moved to OR. I had a shoer out for the first time to do the
entire barn.  We have a cement slab next to one of the barns that was destined
to be the wash rack, but at the time was unfinished.  It did not have anywhere
to tie the horses and the one side was just a drop off of about a foot to the
ground.  I had "STUFF" sitting all over.  I had moved everything aside so
there was room for the horses to stand and we'd have a nice, flat, clean,
surface for the shoer to work on. After we finished the first horse (a Quarter
Horse stallion that I had brought from MT.  He belonged to some folks from MT.
and was in reining training with entries paid into the NRHA Futurity in Okla.)
the shoer started moving my "STUFF" around.  When I asked what he was doing,
he said he was making room for the horses to turn around.  I told him to leave
it, that they could figure out how to get themselves turned around or they
could fall off the edge!  Guess what?  Everyone of the Fjords looked the
situation over, "THOUGHT" the situation through, and got turned around without
knocking anything over and without falling off the edge.  Guess what else?
Everyone of the non-Fjords bumped into "STUFF" and fell off the edge!

If I am riding, for instance,  up in the mountains and come to a bridge that
is of questionable integrity, I would rather be on a horse that will look the
situation over rather than blindly going forward just 'cause I said so.  If I
have asked the horse to go forward and he tells me that he doesn't think
that's a smart idea, it most likely is better to find an alternate route.  Now
understand, there is a difference between refusing something because the horse
is green.  That's where our "horsemanship" comes into play and we must be able
to discern the difference.  I have used this example quite a lot during my
lessons.  It was quite interesting when I received a phone call last year from
a very excited customer of mine.  I had trained his young Fjord for him.  He
had been riding on an unfamiliar trail and this exact scenario unfolded.  His
Fjord told him he didn't think the bridge was safe, so he waded the creek
instead.  The next horse that came behind him FELL THROUGH THE BRIDGE!

And, yes, I have trained A mule, my first and last!!  WHAT a challenge!  It
wasn't my idea, believe me.  I had trained all of this guy's Q H's and he
bought a mule to use in the mountains.  Tried my darndest to convince him I
WASN'T a mule skinner, but to no avail.  To make a long story short, it ended
up to be a success.  This fellow's granddaughter showed that mule to the High
Point performance critter at the fair!  When the fella picked the mule up
after I had finished her training, he mentioned that his friend had a couple
of mules he wanted trained.  I asked him if he told the guy how much I
charged?  He said he had, but I infromed him that my price had just tripled!!

Gayle Ware
Field of Dreams