This message is from: Ingrid Ivic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> So is something terrible going to happen if someone doesn't have their
> mare palpated?  No.  But just as described above, it would have been
> better for their pocketbook (unnecessary vaccinations and extra feed),
> and better for their mare's health (overweight from overfeeding) if they
> had known.
>
> And finally, with careful palpation, as most veterinarians practice,
> there is no danger to the fetus no matter when it's done during the
> pregnancy.
>
> Hope that helps!
>
> Brian Jacobsen, DVM
> Norwegian Fjordhest Ranch
> Salisbury, North Carolina

  Hello Dr. J.
    Thanks for being there to answer my questions...I appreciate the
help. I like this new vet we have and trust his opinion. It's good to
have his suggestions to me "reinforced" by what you said.
    He has a very good touch and attitude with the horses. He has yet to
sedate the animals for any procedure...floating teeth, cleaning sheaths
on the geldings, palpating the mares...etc. They've let him do anything
so far, with not much grumbling.
    Unfortunately, our first vet (while a very nice person to take your
dog or cat to) reached for the syringe automatically, to sedate for
everything that needed to be done. Poor man was very uncomfortable with
these large beasties! I do sympathize, but wish he would have just come
right out and say he didn't like taking care of the horses, a bit
earlier. The doggies and kitties still go to see him...he is good with
them.
    It is interesting to see the differences in the way our 2 mares are
carrying their foals. Both mares are quite the opposite of each other,
as far as the physical "look" of them goes.
    One is taller, elegant, young and expecting her first baby. She
hardly looks pregnant...just starting to have a healthy roundness about
her, but not fat. The other is fairly short, older, strong and has had
foals before. Now her, I worry about! She really looks pregnant. Being
dominant over the young one, she goes after any food she can get. A
challenge to keep her separate or give her less food. We've been
successful so far, to not over do it with her food amounts. Let's just
say we are "maintaining" her weight at this point. I have noticed both
mares seemed to gain quickly for a period, then stayed the same for
awhile...now we are picking up "size" again slowly. 4+ months to go!
    What a learning experience it's been, but a wonderful thing. Again,
thanks for your help Dr.J...best regards, Ingrid
In beautiful, snowy Ohio  :o)