This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (BRIAN C JACOBSEN)

Ingrid Ivic asked:

>....I was wondering how many breeders have their mares palpated, halfway
through >the mares pregnancies? We have a new vet and it's been
recommended to have this >done at our next "Rhino vaccination visit".
We've been told a few mares resorb their >fetus or abort, some with no
apparent signs. Is there any danger in this?

It's true that occasionally a mare will either resorb or abort in early
to mid-pregnancy, and when this occurs there's very little or nothing to
see.  When this happens to a mare, you need to do a few things
differently.  There's no need to continue the Rhino vaccinations.  And
you will need to feed your mare differently than if she were still
pregnant.  So two reasons to have a mare palpated at around 5 months are:
 1.  To avoid wasting money vaccinating her if it's not necessary, and 2.
 To avoid overfeeding if she's not pregnant.

Every Spring and Summer we receive calls from clients saying their mares
are a month overdue and can we come check them out to make sure
everything is OK.  Well, a mare can go a month overdue, so sometimes
everything is fine and the owners just have to wait a little longer.  But
several times each year we will find that a mare is actually not
pregnant, and hasn't been for a while!  You might wonder if an owner
couldn't tell the mare was not pregnant because the mare's belly was not
big enough.  I guarantee you though, if you have been feeding your mare
as if she were pregnant for 11-12 months, she will look pregnant!!  And
what about those times the client saw the foal kicking inside the mare?
That was gas in the intestines moving, not a foal.  And finally, why do
these mares look like they have "bagged up"?  Well, they have bagged up,
but it's with fat not milk.   I believe it is safe to say that there will
be a few Fjord owners this Spring and Summer that will be disappointed
when their mare doesn't foal, because they just didn't, or didn't know to
have her palpated in mid-pregnancy.

So is something terrible going to happen if someone doesn't have their
mare palpated?  No.  But just as described above, it would have been
better for their pocketbook (unnecessary vaccinations and extra feed),
and better for their mare's health (overweight from overfeeding) if they
had known.

And finally, with careful palpation, as most veterinarians practice,
there is no danger to the fetus no matter when it's done during the
pregnancy.

Hope that helps!

Brian Jacobsen, DVM
Norwegian Fjordhest Ranch
Salisbury, North Carolina

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]