This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steven A White)

Has anyone personally had a horse get impacted by eating straw?  I sure
don't know of any.  I think in theory that it may be possible if it ate
enough (i.e. a starved horse where that is all there is to eat).  I've
done a lot of colic surgeries and can say that I have never found straw
to be the source of impaction on an adult horse.  I did find one foal
that had some straw in an impacted small colon but there was lots of
other stuff too.  It seems he was over curious and was eating anything he
could get in his mouth.

Also, I had just read in a recent veterinary publication where they
suggested bedding a foaling mare on straw because (for one of many
reasons) the mare may ingest some straw which will add more fiber to the
colon. This then holds water like a sponge and makes the manure easier to
pass, thus reducing the chances of post-foaling colic.

I would appreciate anyone letting me know if they have had a problem with
straw bedding in the past that DEFINATELY caused and impaction (not just
suspected).  But unless I hear otherwise, I don't think you should panic
and change your bedding routine.

Steve White
Waterloo, Nebraska, USA

Reply via email to