This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

An update on the saga of getting Boss Gelding Tuopen to accept new-kid
Duncan.... As you may recall, Tuopen (8 yo Fjord) cornered Duncan (yearling
Paint/Quarter Horse) and roughed him up pretty badly the first time we put
them together about 1 October. We separated the boys and got Duncan gelded.
About 1 November, I again put T and D in one small, very hilly, muddy
pasture. The other horses were in a nearby pasture. All was well for about
an hour as I fed the boys (tied) and fed 'em some more (untied). Then T
nipped D, D started to run, and the rodeo was on again with mud spraying,
hooves flying, and teeth bared. Fortunately, I was able to separate the two
and tie T before he hurt D again. ... sigh ...

I then decided to put Duncan in with the rest of the herd and keep Tuopen
in isolation. T wasn't happy about being separated, especially from our
other 2 Fjords, but I had scant sympathy for him. This past Saturday, Chuck
and I decided to try it again. (I was so nervous, I was nauseated.) We shut
all the other horses in the barn, and turned T and D loose in the pasture
dotted with widely scattered piles of hay. All went really well, to my
stomach's immense relief. We left T and D together in the pasture for the
night, then let the rest of the horses loose on Sunday morning. Still no
problems. Today (Monday), it's as if nothing was ever wrong.

Looking back on the experience, I'd say that Tuopen feels extremely
protective of "his herd", especially Sissel, our Fjord mare, and Chuck and
me. It was important to keep the 3 of us out of sight while T and D learned
to get along. I also believe that giving Duncan a chance to become a part
of the herd without T was beneficial. Since the other horses are now less
inclined to harass D, T has less reason to be aggressive. And patience
(okay, outright fear!) on our part was essential. Thanks to all on this
list who gave me ideas and suggestions -- they were a great help.

DeeAnna