This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

    Hello List!  Returned from my twice yearly event at Turlock Draft Horse
Sale and Auction with a few comments for everyone.
First, I got a chance to spend some time with Gail Russell and hubby Jim, and
they were delightful folks to hang out with! If you think that auctions are
boring, try sitting next to Gail while she calmly says, " you can bid on this
for me..." ( we were sharing a bidding number ) all the while some rather
expensive vehicles were in the final stages of being sold....YIKES!
Or, watching her almost COMATOSE- like bidding on a beautiful Percheron/TB
cross gelding. It took me a while to even notice that she was bidding, and I
was sitting right next to her!  All the while, Jim, who seemed to be a tiny
bit more nervous, was softly saying, " maybe we should buy THAT one... " GULP!
Anyway, it was nice to get to know them and CONGRATS on you're new baby, "
Whoodini "   (sp)  Hes a real looker!

   Other than the beautiful gelding that Gail bought, and a pair of QH/Belgian
cross horses, that were bought by Paul Milton, there were a very strong
showing of elderly teams and single Drafts presented for auction. I had not
been able to make a very big pile for Jeff of antiques this time, as there
were TONS of people at Turlock, the biggest crowd ever, according to Merlin,
and everybody seemed determined to buy everything at outragious prices!  The
real antiques went for at least shop prices, and the repoductions were
untouchable! A repo butter churn, around 35.00 wholesale in country catalogs,
sold for 320.00. I almost had a coronary. And then when I caught my breath, a
repo trumpet marked US ARMY, sold for 245.00. A " guy " thing I guess, as
there were at least 10 of them bidding on it....OMG. Just when I thought I had
seen it all, a long sickle, just like the 3 that have been taking up too much
room
 in my shop space, sold for 90.00.  Mine are all 37.00 and have been there for
at least 6 months. I quit bidding and went horse visiting.

  When the horse sale began, I had a sad experience this year. There were alot
of mostly Belgian pairs, hitched and driven through the sale ring. Nothing
strange about that. However, even though the stands were packed with people,
they were not bidding. Several nice horses including Gails sold with some
brisk bidding, but then it stopped, and I watched in horrer as horse after
horse, team after team, sold for killer prices. I mean, 200.00 for single
draft horses, and 600.00 to 900.00 for these beautiful teams. Not one horse
spooked, acted badly, or even took a wrong step, even though they were in a
crowded ring, with speakers blaring, and tons of people staring at them....
The harness they were wearing, sold after the horses, and brought alot more
money then the horses wearing it. After getting through about 1/2 of the
auction, I quickly left before they brought in some adorable, but
rough,unbroken weanlings. I had heard that last year the babies only brought
150.00, and that was by the pound, so to speak. Did not stay to watch. I guess
to sum it up, I lack the funds to rescue them and didnt want to watch,
hopefully... I dont know what upset's me more, the PMU foals, or the grand
older teams, after giving their whole lives together, working in carraige
ride's business, or farming, ending up in that sale ring. We do not do work
horses justice in this world, ending up like that. If Premaren farming and the
huge glut of regestered and grade Draft horses do not find a solution sometime
soon, I fear that the Belgian breed will never recover. Fjords next??  Easy
keepers!  Bet not, but gives us all food for thought. My rancher friend in
Canada, says that in the spring, he can buy Draft foals at his local auction
for 50.00. There are hundreds.

  Think I'll pass on Turlock Sale next year.    Price's WAY TOO HIGH.
Lisa Pedersen