This message is from: GAIL RUSSELL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi All,

I have decided that Gunthar needs to be a "Renaissance Fjord," i.e., have
experience in many different horsey endeavors.  So his next "educational
project" is to learn how to be a pack horse.  Anyone have recommendations
for a nice wide, comfy pack saddle to look for?  The packing video I rented
showed pack saddles that looked like they would work only on fairly narrow
animals.

As an aside, it may pay to shop for Fjord tack at used tack shops.  I bought
him a Rembrandt, extra wide dressage saddle that fit very nicely.  Might not
fit a Fjord with no withers at all, but it is very nice on him, and the seat
is extremely comfy.  Have discovered that used tack shops often have trouble
selling the biggest tack that fits the warmbloods.  People who have
Warmbloods seem to buy nice tack, including extra wide bits and saddles, but
people who own Warmbloods appear not to frequent the used tack shops.  My
saddle was cheap, and bought a KK bit for less than half price.
Gail Russell
Forestville CA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]