This message is from: Mike May <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

At 01:02 PM 10/22/98 -0300, you wrote:
>This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Arthur  Rivoire)
>

>Hi Everybody from Carol Rivoire at Beaver Dam Farm in Nova Scotia.

>The board members  are volunteers, and we're  grateful for their time and
>work.  They have their own farms, and perhaps other jobs as well.  ---
>They've done a good job, BUT more can always be done, and what's done can
>be improved upon. And the things they do don't have to take as long as in
>the past; such as, the Breed Standard - 14 or so years in the making. This
>is where the hiring of a professional Consultant would help move the NFHR
>forward, and by doing so, be of help to Fjord breeders and owners.

Carol,  you have mentioned the amount of time it took for the breed
standard many times now.  Yes it did take a long time.  But did you know
that until last year Norway did not have a breed standard either!  It took
them what 2,000 years???  Guess we are doing pretty good.

As to the consultant suggestion you keep bringing up...  The BOD doesn't
meet every week, or every month for that matter.  For instance the last
meeting was Sept. 23rd.  The next one isn't until Nov. 4th.  And in case
you didn't know we did hire a consultant for assistance on the breed
standard.  In fact it was Wayne himself.

The board does hire outside help when needed.   Right now we are working
with a database programmer to customise the canned software he sells to fit
our needs.  Roger gets help from a CPA now and then when needed.  I have
contacted a videographer regarding the promo video everyone wants.  I guess
I don't really see the need for a consultant on a full time or regular
basis just yet.  We do need a promotions person for sure.  This will be
discussed on the next BOD meeting.

>I'm a professional breeder with a large stake in the registry.  As a
>breeder,I could use support from my registry in the form of promotion.  The
>NFHR does not seem able to do that on a par with other registries; ie, the
>Freisans, Haflingers, Icelandics, Warmbloods, etc.  Therefore, I think it
>would make good business sense for the registry to hire a professional
>consultant.  It would be cost effective as this person would certainly
>generate sufficient growth to pay his salary.

I just happened to be looking at the Freisan home page the other day.  I
was quite surprised to see that their memberships were a lot higher than
ours are.

Single Members: $75.00
Family or business  $110

Maybe this is how they do all of the promotion they do.  I didn't see the
rates for registration etc.

Check it out at   http://www.fhana.com/MembApp.htm

Mike