This message is from: Cynthia_Madden/OAA/UNO/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I have been wanting to respond ot Carol's comments about Equitana. I
believe that to expose this breed in the widest possible manner, even
without seeing a direct sale, will always eventually profit the breeder. It
is the kind of thing anyone in any business has to do to get the word out
on a  little known product, or in this case, horse breed. Equitana attracts
thousands of people. It is one of the few national showcases in this
country. How can we not be there?

We have taken Tank to the Iowa Horse Fair and the Kansas Equi-Fest. We
attended the Wisconsin Horse Fair (not with Tank) for several years.
Unfortunately, Nebraska has no equivalent. Fjords are few and far between
in Nebraska and Kansas, especially. Tank has become such a ambassador for
the breed (he really enjoys it). You all know how people react to the sight
of a Fjord. We are always asked about him. We take brochures or some kind
of print out about then with us. We are always running out of information
(Sharon, I am still out of brochures!)

At Kansas last year, the interest in him was tremendous. There were
Icelandics there in force, constantly tolting up and down the isles, but
bring out Tank and hitch him up and he stole the show! He was surrounded by
people. Many people have read about them or seen pictures, but never had
the chance to see one or touch one. Horse fairs, statewide or national, are
absolutely one of the greatest ways to expose large  numbers of people to
Fjords.

How many of us saw one somewhere and said to themselves - I 've got to have
one! Maybe like  me, it was five years before they were lucky enough to
find one (or afford one!)  But when I came home from a carriage show many
years ago in Minnesota after seeing one, it was my heart's desire. (Tank's
real name is Hjerte Barn - child of my heart or apple of my eye). I didn't
even know what they were when I first saw them.

Carol, by going to fairs and horse shows with my Fjord, I am selling your
horses for you. I wonder how many times, after seeing Tank, someone may
have then seen your ads in many horse publications and written or called
you with inquiries? And since I am not a breeder, taking Tank to these
things is totally at my own expense - not a business deduction. (I would
welcome a program that reimbursed even a small part of my expense.) So even
if you decide not to participate in Equitana again - the people who do and
help promote the breed, will also be selling your  horses for you - because
you are out there with your advertising in many publications and others are
not. You do benefit in the long run. not just from your own promotional
efforts but those of others also.

Cynthia Madden, Coordinator
Office of Sponsored Programs & Research
University of Nebraska at Omaha