This message is from: Doug Knutsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Gail and Pamela,

You've got it exactly right.  Back in the olden days when I was starting my own
professional career, an advertising and promotion expert told me that if folks
encountered a name, concept, service, breed, etc, three different times, they
were most likely to use or buy the product.

As with both of you, I encountered Fjords for several years in different
settings before I made the leap, so to speak.  Our stated purpose at Equitana
'98 was to avoid promoting anyone's farm and to promote the breed in general.
Those who wanted to advertise their farms forked over $200.00 for space in the
"magazine rack" plus an additional several hundred [in my case] to create the
flyers to put into the rack. I chose to spend the $ to do this, even though I
had no stock actually for sale then, because I had an eye to the future.  I
wanted my name and horses out there for people to become familiar with them.

We booth attendants were told that people had, in the past, used the booth to
promote their own farms, and we were not to do that.  We were to try to make
sure that if anyone took a flyer, they took a copy of each one.  Neither the
pictures nor the video identified any horses or people.  People were positively
smitten with the breed after being exposed to Fjords in the flesh up to 5 times
each day, in addition to the yearlings or mama with baby in the stall next to
the booth.  There was only one other stall in the entire show which had its
door open much of the time for petting and inspecting up close and personal.
[Under close supervision, of course]

Commonly, folks said, "We love them, but there are no Fjords where we live."
This was our cue to whip out the directory and show them that there were, in
fact, some near them.  We also directed many to the NFHR for more information.

I think it's important to say that Equitana isn't about "sell, sell, sell," so
much as it is about networking with and being accepted into the greater "horse
community."  And learning.  People who love horses in general learning about
Fjords.  Many commented that they'd been seeking a horse who could [you name
it] and they thought a Fjord might be perfect for the job.  You can bet your
boots that many Fjord sales will result, though maybe not immediately.
I made it my personal objective to corral [so to speak] folks in western garb
and point out that Fjords were competing in western events.  And as to
versatility, I told many that "You can buy your land and log it with your
Fjord, then plow and farm it, then go for a sleigh or buggy ride, then ride
English or Western, etc, etc."

Since I'm on a roll here, I'll address the strong need for education, not just
promotion.  I absolutely agree that there is a glaring need for owner/handler
education, and am heartened to see that is being addressed.  We look forward to
many clinics and Evaluations here in the west.   Somehow we all must find a
balance between education and promotion, to avoid a needless "either/or"
struggle.  I'm reassured that there seem to be many Fjord folks who have this
kind of vision and are willing to contribute time and effort toward realizing
it.

Yup, me too.  I'm also happy to write and send articles to various horse
publications - in fact, am in the process of doing so.  Love reading the
Digest.  Peg