This message is from: Nancy Hotovy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I'm just new to the Fjordhorse Mailing List and appreciate the many
thoughts and comments that have been voiced lately.  As Chairman of the
Evaluation Committee, we do have work to do and the input from members
is something we all need to review.  I feel we are on the right track
even though there are still changes that need to be made.

riding/driving your Fjord at open shows, the Registry has a Register of
Excellence Award.  It's been a few years since I received this with a
gelding of mine so I'm not sure of all of the rules that apply but in
short, you receive points for how you place against the number of horses
shown in a given class.  You can compete in any number of events and
need to have a form signed by the show committee verifying your
placing.  When you reach 100 points, your horse is given the Register of
Excellence Award.  For those that have a hard time "fitting in" in an
open show and wish to compete with their Fjord, I recommend events that
are not placed by a judge - Competitive Trail Riding, Endurance Riding,
Timed Events (both riding and driving).  Many of these do not require
fancy, expensive tack and your Fjord is judged on what it can do NOT a
judge's opinion.  This is the kind of events that opened many eyes in
our area - Fjords are not wimpy horses.

I also serve on the Show Committee for the Midwest Fjord Horse Show in
Blue Earth, MN and would like to share some background and thoughts on
this show.   When we first went to Blue Earth (10 years ago), there were
no more than 25 horses and most of these were brought by the Whitney's
who live very close.  The show was very informal.  Rich and I had very
limited experience with driving horses but gave every class a try.
Orville Unrau showed us the log skid and talked us into giving that a
try also.  We left Blue Earth feeling very good with all the new friends
we had made and knew we had a lot to learn before next year.  Since that
time the show has evolved from a couple of hours to a full two day
show.   I am committed to the fact that everyone should be welcome and
there should be classes for everything from the beginner to the more
advanced.  We have added Novice Classes, Junior Classes and a number of
driving classes.  In short, we ARE trying to please everyone, as
difficult as that may be.   We must be doing a decent job as the
attendence has grown every year with 95+ Fjords brought in 1998.  I
always hear the comment, "This looks like something I could do, I'll
bring my horse next year".  Our members come from many different
backgrounds, from ADS to the working draft horse, with just as many
different styles.  We feel we do not want to exclude anyone because of
this and have always directed judges to judge the horses and driver, not
the vehicle and harness. (The fair has in the past provided wagons for
those who are not able to haul all their equipment the miles).   For
1999 a turnout class has been discussed as well as a jumping class - we
are still expanding our horizons.  I just want to make all newcomers
feel as welcome as we were made to feel at our first show - a fun,
family show with good competition is not something to be ashamed of.