This message is from: Sessoms <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi people ... We Southern USA folks are in the midst of a long, dry
summer.  Although it is well into September our temps during the day are
still in the 90's!!!!!  My paddock and yard are a dust bowl with a few
sprigs of crabgrass hanging on for dear life.  Yet the 'ladies' are
already growing a winter coat.  I predict we will have a very cold
winter.  We haven't had a bad one in a few years.

I have had my Fjord horses for a year now and haven't regretted a moment
of the experience.  I adore them.  The three of us have developed a
strong attachment to each other.  During our first few months together I
worried about several things; both horses were pretty pushy towards me,
Dorina seemed indifferent and overly bossy towards Aagot when they were
together when Aagot was used to having a little gelding her own age to
pal around with when she was at Brian's place, and Dorina clearly didn't
like going riding away from Aagot.

Well, a year later, both horses - knock-on-wood - seem to respect me
much more and accept me as their person.  They both nicker at me when
they see me, sometimes when they aren't even hungry!!!!!  And they both
come to me for affection and amusement.

15 year old Dorina and 2 year old Aagot have grown to be great pals.
Aagot has gone from being Dorina's scape-goat and hanging around alone
to being Dorina's back-scratching buddy and hang-out partner.  Dorina
still lets Aagot know who is boss, but Aagot is closer to Dorina's equal
now.  Sometimes I catch Aagot and Dorina hanging out side-by-side and
Dorina will snap at Aagot's muzzle and then Aagot will snap right back
at Dorina's muzzle, and that will end the 'discussion'.

And we have solved the problem of Dorina not enjoying our trail rides.
At a saddle fitting lecture we discovered that our little, old Bona
Allen was pinching and interfering with Dorina's massive shoulders.  She
was shying a lot, whinnying for Aagot and wanting to run back home, and
acting horrid on the downhill.  I thought she didn't like the footing
which is either loose like shale or hard clay covered with sharp chert
rocks.  Come to find out it was the saddle all along.  So, until I get a
new saddle I am developing my leg muscles and refining my balance by
going bareback.  I don't mind riding bareback but my washing machine
hates working overtime!!!!!  Since I vowed to never put that saddle on
her back again she has not acted up in any way.  The two of us have been
having some fun little bareback rides.  I have been faithfully wearing
my new Troxel helmet which I love.

Meredith Sessoms
Soddy-Daisy, Tennessee, USA
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
~  Dorina  ~  NFR Aagot  .~:~.  Fjords
~  Caper  ~  Carly  ~  Crickett  .~:~. Labradors