This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Marti.. There is no reason you can't do CDE's with your Fjord. My Advanced
pair were quite(still are) drafty. Birte was considered a draft type mare by
the Europeans. When fit she weighed 1250. Stands 14.H and has short stocky
legs. Marnix at 6 years is hardly refined anymore. As a younger stallion he
was simply immature not refined. He has ample bone for the breed.  I don't
believe anyone is trying or suggesting to eliminate the draft aspect of our
breed. Then they wouldn't be Fjords. All the adult mares in my barn are large
bodied and big boned, but all do extremely well in ridden and driven  dressage
and jumping. They all have excellent conformation which certainly makes my job
easier, but they do well because of the time and effort we put into them and
their training is geared to building a dressage frame. Dressage is simply that
training. Richard Kahn competed in CDE's with a very drafty little mare and
was very competitive. DRaftiness isn't necessarily height, You can have a 13.1
H Fjord which  can be considered a draft type. The gentleman who heads the
Spanish Riding School his daughter competed in ridden dressage on a Haflinger.
Noone should feel that having a draft type Fjord precludes you from competing
in any discipione you choose. Go for it you have some great people in your
area to help you get started. I look forward to meeting you at Fair Hill.
Vivian