This message is from: "Werner, Kristine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi Marge - I have experienced exactly the same thing -

My horse, Kai, always seemed to prefer my husband over me. We only have
the one - and he is actually "mine" and
you can imagine how frustrating and disappointing it was to see that Kai
seemed to feel safer with Dietmar than
with his loving owner/handler/rider/financier! Thank goodness that has
changed.

Because I noticed that something between me and Kai was "awry", I took a
course recently along the lines of Pat Parelli and was pleasantly
surprised by the effect the exercises suggested had on Kai - AND on me
AND on our partnership. And the interesting and good thing about it is
that it did not take long to achieve said positive results.

Parelli (among others, of course) suggests a number of ways in which we
can attain and maintain "dominance" over
our horses. I tried out several of the more basic approaches -
including asking him to go backwards and letting HIM move around me
instead of vice versa - and noticed radical changes in Kai's behavior -
AND in my attitude towards him.
When I mobilize him - he realizes that 1) I have the "power" to get him
moving and that 2) he does what I want and registers
that, too.
I realized that when I demand respect and EXPECT that I am going to get
it - Kai actually submits. Perhaps not without
a bit of testing - "does she REALLY mean it ?" sort of stuff - but when
I insist, he lets go and seems to be relieved to FEEL that he is SAFE
with me. This is what a horse wants. This is what I and what we all
want.

(Of course, there is the spoiled horse who bites everyone or runs them
down - and many other exceptions. But I think the above can be applied
to most. But a horse is a horse and with "proper" handling - which must
be defined - will also
"want" to re-gain his respect in humankind).