This message is from: "Werner, Kristine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Oh boy - I`m afraid I can`t keep my mouth shut on this one. Although I
should: I do not breed
and I am not a horse expert.
Scant as it might be, I have however had some exposure to horses and at
least as such experience with
the breed. Therefore, I am going to add my two cents worth, for whatever
it is worth, to this discussion.

I must say that I agree with Ursula here. I cannot recall exactly what
she said, but juxtaposed with carole's
statement, I can just about guess. The purchase of my pony, Kai, turned
out to be a lengthy procedure.
We wound up visiting many different of this country`s breeders. But I
bought Kai from E.. Why ?
Because he has THE most impressive set of horses that I have EVER seen
with a lifetime and lifestyle of
professional horsemanship to back it up. He is allegedly much disliked
for that - obviously he is doing something
right.
Unlike other breeders who make up for a COMPLETE lack of discipline in
their biting, kicking and just plain
mean old stallions by seeing to it that they all look extremely good
from the outside, E. takes care of his
horses by seeing to it that they are physically AND mentally prepared to
be sold and make good, realiable horses
that their new owners can work and have fun with.
The old adage - content determines form is certainly appropriate here -
you can`t wholly have the one, without
the other.

Kais breeder, E., handles his horses in such a way that ALL of them are
well behaved. I repeat ALL.
If I presented E. with some of the arguments presented here about
"testosterone" levels and the necessity of stallions to act up when all
that is required of them is to STAND STILL - he would undoubtedly laugh
in your face. I hate to be harsh here - but
if you saw his horses - from foal to stud and every mare and gelding
inbetween, you would have to (perhaps
even hate to) agree with me and anyone else who has seen his herd.
I myself was amazed when he invited us to approach the broodmares and
his favorite reserve-winning stallion,
Kvest. They were absolutely calm - no biting, no fussing, no jerking no
nothing. He said "pet him" - we did -
Kvest simply came closer - it was an awesome thing, believe me. "Man, he
is so reserved and self-contained - he
doesn`t try to bite or anything" I breathed. E. replied "why should he
?".
And this is precisely the point. Why should he ? It is all a matter of
upbringing. If you say - my horse is not virile unless he
is wild, frisky and otherwise out of control, I would ask - what is the
point of "virility" if the horse is unmanageable ?
Can he not be just as virile while displaying utmost self-control ? This
is true and awesome beauty. Think about it.

As a corallary to Kvest`s fanatastic self-control, he can be ridden by
anyone. Just last May Kvest competed
in the first of the bi-annual Fjord Cup series. The rider of the 9 year
old stud, Kvest, was 9 year old Per, E.`s son,
who won second place in two catagories out of three - including a round
of caprilli jumping and dressage riding.
I couldn`t help but take note of the fact that Per competed against
exellent riders - several twice his age and
with much more experience. Two of these girls performed on the generally
badly-behaved stallions mentioned
above. Neither of them placed - because those studs - although
good-looking - were not "typey fjords" but
just plain out of control. (Neither one of them could stand still,
either). They were judged fairly - that is, accordingly.

E.'s "second" son, a seven year old, rides Magnus - a 6 year old
stallion imported earlier this year from Norway.
I have ridden with them all - through forest terrain and water - at a
walk, trot and canter. These stallions
were manageable to a "T" - and easily "stopped" and "started". In other
words, these animals, in spite of or because of
their breeding ability, are treated in every other way like "normal"
horses - which they are - and not spoiled because
they are stallions and have to look good. Looking good is often a matter
of self-compure and grace. Off the wall
horses are definitely NOT pretty, but a disgrace to the breed -
especially when compared with the above mentioned.