This message is from: Julia Will <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth to the stallion discussion.  I was just
in Norway this spring at the stallion show, and overall the horses were
EXTREMELY well mannered, even with 39 in the ring at once.  One 3 year old
reared a couple of times but that was the worst we saw in hand.  Many were
handled by young women.  In the performance, one beautiful 5 year old acted
up in the ring under saddle, refused to canter and to go to one end of the
ring, and his license to breed was taken away.  In the 6 week program of
schooling for stallions, he had been a problem on more than one occasion.

We have two stallions, an 11 year old and a 3 year old.  Both are very
"virile" and show beautiful presence, but both are completely safe to be
around, to go into the pasture with, to feed, groom, breed mares with.
Yes, I use a stallion chain when going from pasture to barn, and I NEVER
forget that it is a stallion on the end of the lead.  And going down the
aisle with horses on both sides, I want to have a firm grip on that lead.
But neither horse would EVER offer to attack me, strike at me, kick, bite,
etc.  Several years ago we were raising a very promising young stallion
prospect, a colt that had been handled since birth by experienced
horsepeople.  By age 14 months, I was afraid to go into the paddock with
him, as he would bite (not nip) at me.  One day he left black and blue
marks on my upper arm and I called the vet.  He is a wonderful gelding,
owned by a 12 year old girl.  We had a similar experience with a 3 year old
that came to us as a stallion who had not been handled much.  He charged me
in the pasture with teeth bared....another gelding that is doing
wonderfully.

So I guess that pretty well spells out my opinion.  Julie @ Old Hickory Farm