This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

   Hello List !  from slightly cooling off So. California, where I plan on
driving my mare tonight!  Thanks for all those who dropped by my Fjord Chat,
Sun. night on PETSnVETS!  Jackie, from Austrailia, who rides a Fjord is
becomming a regular, and always is a welcome addition. I have been reading the
last few posts regarding culling fjords, with alot of interest. After many
years of raising and showing Pygmy Goats, I have a different perspective on
the issue, however, a goat, is NOT a horse, and while I got very attached to
my does, and even some of the hand raised bucks, I could not bear to slaughter
any for meat. Some breeders did. However, I cut most of my male wethers as
they were not breeding quality, and always had a market for hand raised
babies.  Dont know if I could ever call the butcher for one of my equine
friends, and dont even like going to the tack auctions locally, because after
the tack, they have a horse sale. Of course, its the lame, old, untrainable,
horses and ponies that go through there, and I always want to "save " them
all. Instead, I contribute to a horse rescue that buys back as many as they
can, saving me from alot of vet and feed bills!

   Thought that I would modify a well-known recipe from my Good-Housekeeping
Book on Elephant Stew , and for those of you who have met me, know of my
slightly warped sense of humor, so please take it with a grain of salt.....
and write Mike May, if you want to yell at someone. ( Gottcha Mike! )

              FJORD STEW

   200 lbs. of peeled potatoes
   150 lbs. of carrots
   20 bunchs of celery
   15 large onions
   10 Bay leafs
   Salt and Pepper to taste
   1 med. Fjord, sectioned
   5 lbs. of meat tenderizer

     Chop up vegtables. Cover with water in large pot and cook with seasonings
till blanched. Brown Fjord sections, in Olive Oil, ( healthier ) and add to
pot, with tenderizer. Cook till tender. ( Aprox. one week ) Serves 100.

   Bon Appitite'      Lisa P.  PS  Saskia, missed you since Blue Earth show,
on Sun. nights!  Dare you to drop by!!  LP