This message is from: "briar hill farm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Re: shoeing of fjord
We ride our fjords in the woods, in the ring and down country dirt/gravel
roads.
When we are training horses in the ring, we generally do not shoe them.
When we start taking them into the woods we also leave them unshod. As we
start going down the dirt / gravel road and longer distance with them, we
often will shoe the front hooves.
When we were conditioning for 25 mile ride/drives, we would mostly be down
these roads and would have the horses shod all the way around. We would be
putting so many miles on them a week (40-50) that it only seemed fair to
protect their feet.
This year has been extremely wet in VT and the horses have been standing in
soft pastures all summer long. We found that their feet were more sensitive
on the roads when we took them out.

As with feeding, we find that what you do with shoeing has a lot to do with
what the condition of the horse is and what you are asking the horse to do.
If your horse is doing fine on your terrain for what you are asking him to
do without shoes, why put shoes on? Of all 14 horses we have at Briar Hill
Farm right now, only 4 have shoes on, and those for only front shoes.

Hope that I have been some help.
Susan Cook