This message is from: Marsha Jo Hannah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> I found this the first time I got on Juniper.  [...]  asked her to
> move forward, and she did.  Then she realized rider is nervous.  She
> thought of me and refused to move.  Even when I calmed down some.  She
> just stopped dead.  I was highly embarassed, but laughed.  I have a
> special needs child, and I WANT a horse that will stop when it
> questions the riders true desire.  [...]  I love this horse.
>
> Pamela

My gelding, Sleepy, is that way, too.  Our instructor was teaching us
the emergency dismount---first at the stand, then at the walk.  But,
whenever I started the motion, Sleepy would helpfully stop!  Same with
the "pulley rein" for emergency stops.  Learning to post was similarly
complicated (he had been trained Western)---when I started "bouncing
around" at the trot, he'd slow to a walk to "give me an opportunity to
regroup".  My instructor wanted me to kick him back into the trot, but
I value his "taking care of me" more than posting.  We compromised on
me verbally urging/praising him to continue the trot while I tried to
post---he was willing to do it as long as I assured him that was
really what I wanted!

I do indeed love this aspect of most Fjords.  (Particularly since
we've got another Fjord that gets spooky when anything goes wrong---he
has literally leaped out from under us a couple of times when we got
off balance.)

Marsha Jo Hannah                Murphy must have been a horseman--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               anything that can go wrong, will!
30 mi SSE of San Francisco, Calif.
-------