This message is from: Starfire Farm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Jon A. Ofjord wrote:

> I'd like to start my mare in a western
> curb bit.  She is currently working in a full cheek snaffle.  Any
> suggestions as to what type of bit I can use? I.e.; Tom Thumb, or ?  I
> can't seem to find too much in the catalogs I receive that would fit my
> mare.  She takes a 5 ½" bit.  Most bits I've seen are only 5", especially
> the training bits.
>
> Should I start her in a Tom Thumb type bit or go to a low port curb?  I
> haven't been able to find much written about this, or maybe I just don't
> know which books to buy.  I'm not near any large cities to shop for bits, I
> usually have to order them through catalogs.
>
> Any advice as to how I should work the mare when I start her on a curb
> action bit?  I wouldn't bother to do this, but I believe the Fjords have to
> be ridden in a western style curb bit for the western riding evaluation and
> trail classes.  Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Mary Ofjord
> North COast Fjords

  Just a word of caution when selecting a curb bit.  The leverage action
on a
curb bit can interfere with the connection you have when you ask a horse
bend.  In other words, when you use a snaffle to ask a horse to turn,
you have
a direct line from your hand to the horses' mouth, which gives a clear
signal
to your horse.  A curb bit incorporates a leveraging, pinching, action,
which
not only puts a lot of pressure on the horse's bars and tongue, but also
puts a
lot of pressure under the chin.  To see just how much pressure, place
your hand
between the mouthpiece of the bit and the curb strap or chain.  Then
have
someone else pull the bit back, as if by the reins, putting even
pressure on
your hand.  Then have them jerk it back, as if you had pulled the reins
rapidly.  You should get a good idea of how this might feel to your
horse.  You
can also cradle the mouthpiece in you hand and wrap your fingers around
it
gently, to see how it might hang in your horse's mouth.  If you put a
curb bit
on a horse which has never worn one, and apply pressure, the horse's
initial
reaction will be to raise its head away from the pressure under his
chin.  The
horse, as with anything, needs to be trained to understand this
pressure, to be
able to respond to the lightest signals.  Otherwise you are simply
torturing
your horse!  Before you try a curb bit on your horse, he should already
know
how to "stay between your reins" without pulling on either side of the
bit, as
well as how to bend and turn from your legs and seat, not the reins.
Classically speaking, the curb bit was designed to be used on horses
that are
"fine tuned", and to help the rider send invisible signals to the horse
reference changes in balance and collection.  This relys on an even
signal on
both sides and bars of the mouth, which also places some pressure from
the top
of the bridle on the horse's poll, consequently asking the horse to give
at the
poll.  I feel that our signals/aids to the horse should be as clear as
possible, therefore I don't recommend using a Tom Thumb bit.  The Tom
Thumb has
a broken mouthpiece, like a snaffle bit, but also incorporates the
leverage of
a curb bit.  This, all to easily, can lead to a pinching action on one
side of
the mouth or the other as we try to ask the horse to turn and, in my
opinion,
leads to confusing signals to the horse.  Therefore, I would recommend a
curb
with a port which would fit the conformation of your horse's mouth, and
the
size of her tongue.  For a horse being newly introduced to the curb,  I
would
recommend a low port, to avoid the port touching the roof of the horse's
mouth.  Once the horse learns to "drop his poll", give to the bit, and
carry
himself in a collected frame (which he should have already learned in a
snaffle)  you can introduce the curb.  The classical, Vaquero style of
training
starts with a snaffle, then moves to a bosal/snaffle combination, then
to a
"half breed" curb bit (which has a moderate, say 1 inch high port), then
a full
spade (which can be up to 3 inches long!)  It is not considered an
instrument
of control, it is considered, and used as, an instrument of fine
communication.  If you saw the Horse Whisperer, the gear on the finished
horses
is an example of a Santa Barbara spade bit and pencil bosal.  In upper
level
Dressage, the curb bit is used in conjunction with a snaffle bit (both
bits in
the horse' mouth.)  Crudely speaking, the snaffle bit is used to help
with
turning and bending signals, the curb is used, as in the Vaquero style,
to send
fine signals to the horse to make slight changes in the horse's
collection. Too
often, though, in both disciplines, we see people using curb bits for
their
ability to control a horse through the application of pressure on the
horse's
mouth. In this age of instant gratification, we are often looking for
the quick
fix, rather than willing to spend the time to take the necessary steps
to train
properly!

That said, I also understand those who feel the need to have the
security of a
curb bit when driving.  In a recent Mounted Police seminar that I
attended, the
instructor recommended using a snaffle bit for training, but using a
curb bit
for working on the street.  He recommended this because he felt that
there are
times, in an emergency situation, when you need to have the extra
"oomph" that
a curb bit can provide to send a strong signal to the horse.  I feel
this is
also true of driving, but would caution that it is imperative that your
horse
is thoroughly well trained, and you can perform all of your movements
and tasks
in a snaffle bit, rather than simply rely on the action of the curb!

I don't know what the requirements are for dressing a "Western" Fjord
for
evaluation, but I do know that the Quarter Horse and Paint exhibitors
(the
trend setters in Western horsey fashion) are riding their colts and
green
horses in snaffle bits with mecate reins, or bosals. The horses go, as
in a
curb, on a very loose rein, with the head carriage rather low (not with
light
rein contact, as in Dressage.)  I think there is nothing cuter than a
Fjord
horse, dressed in a snaffle and mecate rein, with a little silver on the
bridle, in a nice Western saddle!

As for the width of the bit, you might have to have one custom built, as
most
"Western" horses don't have the wide mouth, fleshly lipped horses that
we have
(although our Morgan gelding runs a close second to the Fjords - and
what
wonderful lips they are!)

 As for the width of the bits, so far I aslo have only seen 5" bits in
the
catalogues.  I can check with our local Western tack stores to see what
they
carry, or recommend.

Until then, best of luck!

Beth, Sandy and all of the Fjords, etc. of Starfire Farm in Beautiful,
HOT,
Colorado.