This message is from: Jean Ernest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Gail,

I convinced my instructor that the Glory butterfly bit was actually a
little better than the standard two piece snaffle for our dressage work.  I
use the rein on the snaffle ring so it acts like a snaffle and also use a
second rein on the lower(curb) setting to balance him.  My instructor was
actually trying to get me to go to a double bridle as she feels the curb
action used occasionally would help him round up and lighten. She felt that
he would "run through" a three piece snaffle, (KK or french mouth).

Sunday I had a lesson from the sister of the previous instructor and she
felt he was really quite light on the snafffle rein and didn't use the curb
rein. She has also felt the curb rein on the Glory butterfly bit offered
more control for my friend, who is still insecure, as her fjord can be
quite strong.

I occasionally go back to a two piece snaffle, but find he lugs more and is
heavier.  I tried a french mouth and he was actually a bit better.  I have
to figure out what to use in our upcoming dressage clinic!  We'll see what
"Wolfgang" thinks of the Glory butterfly!

The TTeam Newsletter last issue had a very interesting article on bits by
Joyce Harmon, DVM, MRCVS: "A breakthrough in bitting for comfort and
performance" and advocates the Mylar Arched mouth snaffle which gives the
tongue freedom.  (Yes, I have ordered one to try, another expensive one!).
I would offer to scan and send this article, but the pictures are too dark,
to come through! Maybe I can copy it at Kinkos for those of you willing to
pay for my costs. Or maybe it's on the TTeam web page,
 http://horsenet.com/tteam-ttouch/tteam_main_wall.html

The article is in the May/June 1998 issue of TTeam Up with your Horse,
Volume 2, Number 1

Well, this got long, about as long as my collection of bits!

Jean in Rainy Fairbanks, Alaska, 1+1/2 " rain in the rain gauge since last
night! (Corrals a real mess as is the construction section on my road!)
   At 03:57 PM 7/7/98 -0700, you wrote:
>This message is from: Gail Russell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>Below is an Infoseek search I did on "KK bit."
>
>http://www.infoseek.com/Titles?qt=kk+bit&col=WW&sv=N6&svx=nssbR1&submit=+se
ek+

>The first item to come up was a Jessica Jahiel Q&A on KK bits.
>Interestingly, she discusses two (cheaper) alternatives, i.e. to be more
>"forward" in your down transitions and/or try a mullen mouth snaffle on low
>paletted (sp) horses like Arabs (or Fjords :)).  Interesting to me as I
>purchased a Glory Butterfly bit - a mullen mouth designed for horses with a
>mouth conformation like Fjords.  However it is my understanding that
>snaffles are advised for lateral work (best bit for turning, if not for
>stopping - or so I understand).  For that reason I have not even attempted
>to talk my dressage instructor into "approving" use of the Glory mullen
>mouth for my primitive attempts at dressage.  We have enough trouble with
>"pony discrimination" ("Fjords can't do dressage - at least not long backed
>ones like Gunthar.") without taking on bits too!

Jean Ernest
Fairbanks, Alaska
[EMAIL PROTECTED]