Thank you so much for saying what I believe to be very true and not the least
bit overly cautious. A two year old Fjord is too young to go to work. After
all these ponies should be expected to continue working for 20+ years there is
no reason to rush a baby into work. I know it causes problems later on because
I've seen these problems arise on more than one occasion, with other people's
horses and not just with joints etc. A two year old who is still in a major
growth pattern can't be expected to do any consistent work while still
maintaining energy and the desire to go forward. They tire easily and then get
into a very lazy frame of mind because it is so exhausting for them. Initially
some novice drivers like the lazy attitude because they feel safer however
whacking a horse with a whip repeatedly to get a decent working trot gets old
fast Plus if you are expending calories in work and still growing you have to
make up for the used calories so as not to interrupt normal growth. Since I
already allow three and unders to eat free choice grass and hay that would
mean making up the difference with grain, and since I already grain and
supplement them I question how much more grain would be overkill. Outside of
routine handling I don't start my Fjords until they are in the fall of their
third year driving. Then I put them away for the winter and the following
spring I start again slowly driving and introduce under saddle work. All very
slowly allowing them to build up muscle without interrupting normal growth. No
side reins or gadgets are necessary when the horse has developed properly
he'll come on the bit because he posseses the correct muscles to do so, and
he'll be light and responsive to the aids. All the mares started here are
extremely forward and enjoy there time working in the ring and out on the
trail. They go out alone happily and get plenty of carrots when they get home.
I say let the babies be just that there's plenty of time to get them going.
Take it from one who is always learning from her mistakes. Vivian Creigh,
Rainbow's End Farm