This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Amy K White)

Ingrid,
I do a lot of ultrasound in my practice, and we usually do an ultrasound
at 16-18 days after breeding.  Sometimes you can see them earlier, but
they can be hard to distinguish from cysts.  We recommend a follow up U/S
at about 28 days.  At that time you can see a heart beat and confirm a
viable embryo.
-Steve
Steve and Amy White

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998 19:05:26 -0500 Ingrid Ivic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:
>This message is from: Ingrid Ivic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>Hello folks,
>    I was wondering what guidelines to follow, as far as how early to
>have mares ultrasounded to confirm pregnancy. Our mare just came back
>last week from the stud's farm and I'm eager to learn if she "caught".
>    A few books I've read, have mentioned ultrasounding can be done as
>early as three weeks after being bred. The vet I currently use doesn't
>specialize in horse fertility and pregnancy...he comes out here to do
>the routine things (shots, sheath cleaning, teeth floating etc.), but
>that's about it. He also mentioned to me that he considered fjords too
>small to be examined for pregnancy in the usual way, for fear there
>would be damage done? Hhhmmmm? After this hearing this information
>today, I did get the name of a vet who specializes in equine
>reproductive/pregnancy care.
>    This is all new to me and I only want the best for our mares. Just
>checking in to hear what people who've been down this road before have
>done. Thanks List!!  All the best, Ingrid  ;o)

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]