This message is from: Anneli Sundkvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Bernadine Karns wrote:

>>We also have had trouble fitting saddles to various Fjords.  The 'Aussie'
saddle fits pretty much all, but is HEAVY.  We have a Orthro Flex, which
fits most also, but was made for a short person, so when I tried riding in
it, it was comfortable, but I couldn't walk when I got off.>>

When I worked on the Fjord-camp I got some experience in fitting (English)
saddles on Fjords. Tricky business, sometimes, but there are some
saddleries that one can look for when buying a used saddle for a Fjord:

HUBERTUS, very good quality and fit many Fjords very well. Some models,
marked "Flexline" have an andjustable tree. The Hubertussaddles are made in
many diffrent models, such as dressage, jumping, flat back, all-purpose...I
just don´t remeber where they are made. England or Germany, I think. I have
a Hubertus Kosack dressage and I love it! Fits both my horses great! My
favourite saddlery!

LEWA, this saddlery was situated in the DDR, and was closed when Germany
re-united. The saddles were of good quality to a low price, and it was
belived that under the new circumstances the price would have been much
higher and there were no money for PR. Anyhow, there are still many used
Lewa-saddles out there at very good prices. Many diffrent models.
Generally, they fit Fjords very well. I especially remember a model
(all-purpose) called "Ingolf" mentioned. I´ve ridden many hours in a Lewa
Comet dressage and it was a great saddle that fitted the Fjord-gelding I
had then great. I have tried this saddle on Tina too, and it was good on
her and on a dozen of other Fjords I´ve seen it on.

STÜBBEN, the well-known saddlery from Germany. I don´t know anything about
their new models (Stübben -94), but the old ones are often great on Fjord.
A used Stübben is a liter higher in price than a used Hubertus, but on the
other hand the Stübben defintely last YOUR lifetime. Many diffrent models.

HUSAR/FELS BACH, very good comfort for horse and rider, BUT these saddles
are filled with foam instead of wool and that can not be adjusted by your
local saddlery. Once the saddle need to be re-filled (or whatever you call
it) you have to send it to the original saddlery or through it away. These
saddles come in many models and often fit Fjords. I have one myself and
it´s very comfortable to ride in.

Generally, most Fjords need a 31" tree.

Regards, Anneli