This message is from: Lori Albrough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi Ann -

There was a really good article about colours by Tor Nestaas which
appeared in the Fjord Herald last year. I got permission to reproduce
the article on my web site. You can check it out at:
http://www.bluebirdlane.com/colour.html

There was another article (also by Tor I think) which actually discussed
the phenotypes and genotypes of the colours, very technical. Using this
information if you bred your horse a whole bunch of times you might be
able to figure out his genotype. I didn't put that one up on the web,
but I do have it on paper. If there was interest I could see about
getting permission to put that one up too.

As for feeding, "less is more". I feed about 14 pounds of hay (grass
hay, no alfalfa) per horse per day in winter, plus one cup of grain once
a day with a scoop of vitamin mineral supplement. In summer they are on
pasture. I have to limit their time on pasture, even my nursing mare
gets fat if she is on pasture all day. I play it by eye - whatever looks
right. I do find it hard to keep them from getting too plump in the
summer.

Lori