This message is from: Mike May <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

At 03:24 PM 5/29/98 -0400, you wrote:
>This message is from: Lori Albrough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>Does anyone know how many Norwegian Fjord Horses there are, worldwide? I
>recall hearing Holland has a population of about 15,000 and something
>like 4,000 in North America, but does anyone know the total out there?

Well I don't think anyone has a worldwide number.  I am not to sure about
that 15,000 number for Holland either.  That is a LOT of Fjords for the
size of Holland.  Is that possibly the number Registered?  That would also
include deceased horses then.

We have 2,174  registered right now.  Of that number 2,120 are still alive.

Of the registered horses;
646 are Geldings
285 are Stallions  (some of these are probably gelded but not reported to me)
1,243 are Mares

102 are Norwegian Registered also.
191 are Association Registered also.
111 are Dutch Registered also.
231 are Canadian Registered also.

I also have a copy of the latest Canadian Stud Book.  It shows that they
have 1,628 horses registered.

I don't have any numbers for the Association but I know they are over 1,000
anyway.

I don't have any idea of how many the FBA has registered either but just
for argument sake lets say 500.  So if we add up the North American numbers
now we have 5,302 horses.  Some are dead, some are counted in more than one
registry.  So I would be willing to say that we have about 4,500 registered
horses in North America.  I am sure there are a lot of unregistered ones
out there too.  Especially geldings.

Mike

Norwegian Fjord Horse Registry
http://www.nfhr.com