This message is from: "the Sessoms'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Any tips on training a yearling to move into a fast walk or a trot on
> the lead line?????  When I walk Aagot in her paddock, I swear, she
goes
> much slower than her regular walk just to 'get my goose'.

Has anyone responed to you yet? I tend to be very wordy, and did not
want to clog the Fjord list up so am trying to respond privately.

If you have internet access, you might try to find websites about
Natural Horsemanship, or get some books. It really works better than
"traditional" training methods with my 2 Fjords. You are going to be
teaching the horse to respect you as its leader.

Horses and most animals have a natural reflex called the Opposition
Reflex. If you push them they push back. If you pull them, they pull
back. So by pulling harder on the lead, the horse pulls harder back, it
is just a reflex, like your knee jerk reflex. They really don't think
about it much, they just do it, nothing personal usually. Think of it
this way, if a strange man came up to you, grabbed your wrist, what
would you do? I would pull back to get my wrist away, a natural reflex.
Opposition reflex.

What if the man could not speak your language, or speak at all? He wants

to lead you somewhere, or teach you how to dance. So he pulls lightly on

your wrist (pressure) and does not pull harder when you pull back, he
keeps the same pressure on your wrist the whole time so you do not get
scared or mad, and he follows your wrist in whatever direction you take
it, until you finally push your wrist at him, or in a certain direction,

say West, towards where he is leading you, and he lets it go. Whew, you
say, what a relief, that's how I get him to let go and leave me alone!
Then he takes your wrist again, and puts pressure on you again in that
direction, and you remember the quickest way to get him to let go is to
move in that direction. So you move that way, and he lets go again. And
we do this many times until you realize he does not hurt you but he is
asking you for something, and you have to figure it out. So at first you

may only move your wrist that direction, but if he keeps asking you and
he asks for a little bit more each time, you eventually lean your body
in that direction, finally take a step, and finally he can lead you to
where he wants you to go. ANd maybe then, when you get there, he will
leave you alone again!

This is just some of natural horsemanship. Mamma horse pushes on baby
horse to teach him to watch her and let her direct his movements in the
herd to keep him safe. Dominant horses chase other horses away from
food. So you, as human, need to become the dominant horse in the horse's

mind, by teaching your horse to move away from pressure when you put
"pressure" on it, and pressure can be physical, as in pressure on the
lead rope putting pressure on the halter to lead it, or it can be
mental, as during training when you are asking the horse to do something

and it does not want to do it.