This message is from: Sam & Sue Banks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Mike May, Thanks for putting the Evaluation information on the website.
Can you ask the committee about a few things and get further
clarification? If an Evaluation is ever near enough to attend, I'd like
to go, but I would have to change my regular equiptment, allowed by USDF
at Training Level, under these rules.
     I was wondering if anyone else that had attended an Evaluation had
to undergo similar changes to fulfill these rules?
Quote:
Regular snaffle bridle with regular, flash or dropped noseband. Any
smooth mouthed bit with a single jointed, mullen mouth, Kimberwicke or
straight bar mouth piece made of metal, or leather covering with single
reins will be permissible. The use of artificial aides, boots and
bandages will not be allowed. Only "button" spurs and whips with a
maximum length of 30" may be used. Dressage, flat, jump and all-purpose
saddles are acceptable.

1. Bits. The way this is worded, a French Link bit would not be allowed,
yet it is a rather mild bit and with the low palate and thick tongues of
the Fjords, my horse likes this bit better than a single joint. Is there
a reason this is not permitted? Is this rule worded to exclude Dr
Bristols?
2. Whips. Most dressage whips are about 36 to 42 inches, and can be even
longer. 30 inches would just cover a hunt seat type crop. Again, is
there a reason? A dressage whip instead of a crop is nice because I do
not have to take my hands off the reins to supplement my aids, so I stay
steadier for my horse. Using a whip is not penalized at the dressage
tests I have attended if used as a quiet aid to improve performance. I
prefer not to use spurs at all, so the whip is very important to me. I'd
have to do some major changes in riding and training style to follow
this rule, and would need to be prepared beforehand if dressage whips
were not allowed.

Thanks
Sue Banks, Virginia, USA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]