This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (BRIAN C JACOBSEN)

The things that have been said about the need for Evaluations have been
excellent, though some of it will not work in the United States.

I hope to offer a very practical take on Evaluations in this country.
First, they are an excellent tool and should be taken advantage of by
anyone serious about their fjords - using or breeding.  Few other breeds
in this country have anything of the sort, and it has the potential to
improve/keep the quality of the Fjord Horse in this country very high.

The problem is, this is America, the land of freedom, where people have
the attitude "no one is going to tell me what to do with my horse!"  That
is why mandatory evaluations of stallions or mares will never fly in the
Fjord breed in this country.  If we, as a Registry, would have had the
foresight to start out that way, then yes, it could have worked.  Since
my family was involved in starting the Registry, I'm willing to take any
responsibility/blame there is to take.  But since it wasn't started that
way, if the Registry now tried to implement mandatory evaluations and
control over breeding animals, many or even most members would not be in
favor of it at this point.  However, I'm not sure that the way things are
is all bad.

Think, for a minute, about the breeds in this country who are controlled
by strict licensing standards for breeding (Freisans, Trakheners, etc);
Are they widely popular and widely available here in the US?  No, they
are not, mainly for three reasons: 1) most of them are not multi-purpose,
including not necessarily being great as children's horses or "pets", 2)
cost, and 3) breeding controls.  The first two are self-explanatory.  (To
anyone who owns such a horse, I am not saying a single thing bad about
them; They are just not used for the same purpose as Fjords.  Or, to say
it another way, They haven't been bred to fill all the needs/purposes a
Fjord is supposed to fill).

  So I'd like to expand on number three - breeding controls.  We in the
US are trying to make Fjords as widely available as possible, while at
the same time maintaining the perception of value such that they are
worth a fair amount more than just an average horse.  Breeding controls,
however, limit availability and raise the cost even higher.  Thus we
would be working against ourselves to try and implement mandatory
evaluations where only approved animals could breed.

The thing that breeders have to remember, is that they probably come out
better with evauations being voluntary.  The fact that there are a number
of "average" Fjords out there (note: most "average" Fjords would be
better than average compared to other breeds) means that the truly
special Fjords stand out even more.  There are plenty of people out there
who want quality animals.  So any breeder (or "user") who is willing to
distinguish her/himself at an Evaluation will benefit.

I think it is fair to say, then, that evaluations are a very good thing.
And although there are good aspects to a mandatory system, in the US
probably the best thing is to keep them voluntary and continue working to
make them as available as possible.

Here's a thought though; How about replacing the traditional American
system of judging, as we do at the Fjord shows, with evaluation instead.
Now I know that often an Evaluation will be held in conjunction with a
show, and I know many of the judges have been trained in Europe, but that
is not what I mean.  At the show, horses and people are judged according
to two broad criteria: innate qualities of conformation and ability, and
performance qualities in competitions with each other.  In the areas of
innate qualities (the halter classes for example) Instead of placing
horses by comparing against each other, and ending up with 1st, 2nd, and
3rd, etc., lets judge and place them only against the standard, and judge
them in several areas, not just halter for instance.  Now my reason for
suggesting this is not that anyone should be afraid of competetion, but
that judging the traditional American way leads to change of the breed.
Which horse wins becomes, eventually, based more on politics and judges
preferences than true quality of the horse.  (If you don't believe me,
ask a Quarter Horse or Paint owner who shows competitively).  I would
like to think that this would be less the case when judging against the
standard, and not the other horses at the show.  And I know the Fjord
judges are fully qualified to judge that way - they do it at the
Evaluations already.

I have to go to work right now.  I'd like to develop this a little more.
Before anyone flies off the handle, please make sure you really
understand what I'm saying.  If you're not sure, please wait until
tonight when I will try to get back on the computer and continue.

Brian Jacobsen
Norwegian Fjordhest Ranch
Salisbury, North Carolina

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]