This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (BRIAN C JACOBSEN)

In our freshman year of vet school we had a very good and well-liked
anatomy instructor.   One day she related the following experience about
sheath cleaning to us.
I will change her name for the sake of internet privacy.

Dr. Blush had always cleaned her gelding's sheath religiously, and he was
usually very good about it.  One day, shortly after moving to a new house
and pasture, she noticed her horse standing right by the water hose,
relaxed, with everything hanging out.  Always prepared to clean his
sheath, she grabbed her bucket of materials and went to work.  For some
reason though, that day he gave her a terrible time about getting the
whole thing done.  One whole hour later, after much exertion and
struggle, she finally finished.  Exhausted, she straightened up and
turned around.  Much to her chagrin, she saw all her new non-horsey
neighbors lining the fence.  It was fairly easy to tell from the
expressions on their faces that they were wondering what in the world she
was doing to that horse!

Well, she tried to explain, but was never quite sure they believed her.
I think you can understand why then, she didn't live there for very long!
 : {)

Brian J.
Norwegian Fjordhest Ranch
Salisbury, North Carolina

P.S.  Don't let this dissuade you from cleaning your gelding's sheath.
Perhaps just prep the non-horsey neighbors first!

P.P.S.  For those fairly new to horses (or new to geldings) - here are
two things that haven't (I don't think) been mentioned about cleaning
sheaths.  1)  If your gelding (or stallion for that matter) makes makes a
funny "squawking" or "sucking" noise when he runs, it MAY BE that his
sheath needs to be cleaned.  At times I have heard mares making similar
noises and I think that may coming from the intestines.  2)  If your male
horse seems to be straining unusually hard to urinate, or his urine comes
out in a wide spray instead of a stream, he may have a "bean" that needs
to be removed, as has been mentioned.  The "bean" is a conglomeration of
sweat, dirt, and secretions ("smegma" - what a term!) that forms in a
cavity at the end of the penis.  In the interest of health and
cleanliness, cleaning the sheath and penis, etc. twice a year is probably
sufficient unless you are "blessed", as some have indicated, to have a
horse who stays very dirty in that area.  Stallions do not generally get
as dirty because they like to show off much more.  I have seen, one time,
a gelding who couldn't urinate because he had accumulated such a big
bean.  Also, your twice-yearly exam may reveal a sore or cancer that
needs some attention.  Often if a problem in this area is caught early,
it can be dealt with, whereas if it has gone on unnoticed for some time,
it may be too late.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]