This message is from: Reinbowend <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

The Dutch studbook has been breeding Fjords to standard for over 40 years. Bob
van Bon has imported from Norway many fine stallions that are used for
breeding in the Netherlands. From my observations over the 12 years I have
been involved the Dutch bred Fjords live up to the same standards as the
Norwegian horses. There are ofcourse mediocre horses produced in both
countries, but this is related to the laws of genetics not their country of
origin or the breeders intentions.  As for only importing the cream of the
crop to North America. Let the buyer beware. Their are horse traders of all
nationalities. If you offer to buy an animal of inferior quality I would guess
that it would be a foolish seller not to take the money and run.

As for clipping the legs. I have been showing in Combined driving and Pleasure
driving shows and ridden dressage for 10 years and have never found it
necessary to clip legs. I feel that the feathers on the legs are just as much
a breed characteristic as the dorsal stripe.  My daughter doesn't clip her
Welsh Cob's legs when she turns out for Combined Training or Dressage feeling
the same as I about the feathers being a breed characteristic, and I have
never seen the feathers on a Friesian clipped off. Grooming and turnout
however is a matter of personal preference and you should  feel free to
approach from whatever direction works for you.

Just my Two cents.... Vivian Creigh