This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

No, not JOHN Lyons, I mean JOSH Lyons! ;-) Josh is John's son and a good
trainer in his own right. His wife has family in western Illinios, so Josh
sometimes gives one or two day clinics in the Galena, Illinois, USA, area.

If anyone is interested in such things, please e-mail me directly at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   (Please don't send this to the mailing list -- I might
miss it!) I will make a list of the addresses and will e-mail you if I hear
Josh is in the area. Last time, his clinic was $350 US. These clinics are
held on short notice (say one or two weeks lead time) and are very informal.

I am familiar with Parelli's methods, but prefer Lyons' way of handling
horses. Just a personal preference -- the more structured way of training
that Parelli teaches doesn't fit my lifestyle, but Parelli's methods really
work for other people. Other teachers are Klaus Hempfling (Europe), Tom
Dorrance, Buck Brannaman, Ray Hunt, ...

I also like Mary Twelveponies books. (Her real name is Mary Cleveland.)
Although she does not completely fit into the natural horsemanship camp, I
think she offers sensible, useful, safe advice.

If you want to learn more about these people's philosophies and techniques,
here are my suggestions to get started:

Parelli, Pat, and K. Kadash. 1993. Natural Horse-man-ship. Western Horseman
Inc., Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA. ISBN 0-911647-27-9  The techniques
in this book are a little dated, but I don't think he has revised it, nor
published a new book with his current methods. He does have booklets or
pamphlets offered through his own business -- anyone else have some
suggestions here?)

Lyons, John, and S. Browning. 1991. Lyons on horses. Doubleday, New York,
NY. ISBN 0-385-41398-X   Lyons also has self-published booklets, audio
tapes, and video tapes available through is own organization. I -think- the
Web address for his site is    http://www.johlyons.com

Twelveponies, Mary. 1980. Everyday training: backyard dressage.
Breakthrough Publications, Millwood, NY. ISBN 0-914327-01-1

John Lyon's Perfect Horse magazine. 12 issues, $45 US per year (note: I've
been paying $29 per year!). Subscription service: PO Box 420234, Palm
Coast, Florida, USA, 32142. ISSN 1087-3007  The magazine always has an
article on training written by John. They test and review products
including vitamin and mineral supplements, clippers, riding clothes,
bridles, and horse blankets. There are frequent articles on horse health
and reader-written articles about problem horses. I like it! You might be
able to subscribe through Lyon's Web site.

Except for the magazine, you might be able to order most or all of these
from the Web site:   http://www.amazon.com      I recently placed an order
for the first time  and was very pleased with their service.

DeeAnna